Sunday, July 31, 2011

Life of Maude Bell Bate

Presumed to be written by Maude Bell Bate.



I was born in Charleston, Utah, Aug 2, 1882. My parents were George E. Simmons & Dora Turner Simmons. I was born in a little log house.
My parents came form England when my oldest sister was just a small baby; being fairly well off when they came, but found living in Utah a hard struggle. And little by little, their cash dwindled; until by the time I was born, they were the poorest knowing nothing about American money. The neighbors got the most of it for milk butter and other living expenses. And, after I was born, Mother had to go out washing for the neighbors for milk and butter for the family. All Mother’s beautiful little baby clothes also went for living during the first year I was born. Then, Father bought a farm in the same town and put up a little house on it. I am told that was very hard on Mother but she was a brave wife, doing work for the neighbors to help while Father broke up land and got, little by little, ready to put crops on it.
And, when I was just a tiny tot, I can remember working with the whole family gathering up sage brush and piling it while Father plowed and how hard the older ones worked so they could leave a bonfire of that that wasn’t worth burning because our whole firewood was the best of the sage brush. But, what we looked forward to was the bonfires at night. The older ones would go out and dance around them while we smaller ones pressed close to the window and watched the fun.
I do not remember but I was told how, after the house was up and they was breaking up the land, how father got the first payment. It was $1,000 to pay down for that payment. Father was greatly worried how he would get it. My Uncle had a large Farm and kept a slaughter house and meat market. A milk cow took sick. She was down. They could not get her up. Father was helping with her. After working with her with no success, he was going to shoot her. Father talked my Uncle into letting him have her. So they brought her up in a wagon. Put her on our place, almost dead. But Father strung her up so her feet barely touched the ground and doctored her. And, after quite a time taking care of her, she got better. And, Father was able to sell her for the first payment on the farm. After that, life wasn’t so hard as far as living was concerned.
Father’s first wife died in England before mother married him, leaving seven children; 3 staying in England at the time Father and Mother came to Utah. Mother raised four children for him besides her own. My Father must of been a wonderful man for I remember sitting on his lap and riding his foot while he sang songs to me. Then, picking me up in his arms and rocking me to sleep while he sang to me.
My earliest recollections was when my half sister died. They say I was two years old then. But, I remember climbing up on a chair and pulling the sheet off of her face; and I’ll never get that white dead face out of my mind. I remember screaming and Father carrying me out into the kitchen clinging to his neck as he pressed me close to him and telling me she was asleep but couldn’t wake up.
One of my found remembrance was our Sunday afternoon walks. I loved to go with Father and Mother to see my Aunt Mary. She lived a long ways from our home, but I looked forward to those walks. But, sometimes the coming home was after dark and I would get so tired and sleepy; and how tired I got before we got home. And, sometimes Father would carry me and how wonderful that felt and what a comfort. How I would like to lean over on his shoulder and go to sleep, but, Father would say, “Just a little way and then you must walk”, because I was such a big girl to be carried. About 1 ½ miles from our place but I enjoyed it. But when we would come home, I would get so tired for it would sometimes be almost dark and I suppose my bed time. How I enjoyed putting my hand in his and lagging behind. Sometimes he would lift me in his arms and carry me or piggyback ride me on his back and how good that seemed to me. Sometime I would long to lay my head over and fall to sleep but Father would say I was a big girl and must walk at least most of the time.
My next fond remembrance, I think, was going to Primary. The getting ready was out standing to me to have Mother dress me up in our stiffly starched dresses. Mother took great pain in doing our dresses which, those days, were starched very stiff. Then running in head of Mother which was the President of the Primary for many years. Along the road we would be joined by all the children along the line and by the time we got to the meeting house, would be quite a little Primary with us. I especially recall the stormy days and rainy days. How Mother would impress us that we shouldn’t take too much notice of discomfort. She would say, “Run fast enough to run between the drops of rain”, so we wouldn’t get wet. And I really think that we did for we didn’t seem to get very wet.
I remember we used to pass by an old lady’s place. We were frightened of the old Lady but she had the loveliest flower garden. And, sometimes she would pass us a little flower out of the fence. We would carry it home with great care.
Before I was old enough to go to school, I would be allowed to go with my brother to school on Friday afternoon programs. And, they would stand me on a chair in front of the school and I would sing songs to them. I still remember those little songs.
Another fond remembrance was going to meeting with my Father. We had fast meeting on Thursdays and it was quite a thrill to be allowed to get dressed up and go to meeting with my father. I remember how proud I was of going anywhere with my Father.

Experience written by Maude Bate

Our president wants me to write a paper on What Relief S. has done for me. But I don’t want to be too sentimental today and I don’t want to spoil my face for the dance tonight and I can never Preach with out blubbering. So I will just give an incident.
Well, it was a short time ago while the flue was raging. And meetings were closed, so we had no bother with them. But worse, every one was ill. Or afraid they would be. Or was worring about some one else being down.
And Mothers never went to bed to sleep. Either one or the other was ill Some one’s baby, Father Mother, Sister, Brother, or some one to worry about. You may be sure we mothers had no time to do any sewing or mending. If we had a minute it was to run to the phone to find out how some one else was. 
I have never witnessed a sickness around that brought the wrinkles and frowns to mothers faces, as much as this flue business. We couldn’t go and comfort our neighbors or have them come and comfort us. But just had to bare our troubles alone.
But at last there came a day when all seemed bright again. Every one seemed fairly well. And it looked like the Storm was over. It was a lovely Warm morning and I had planned to finish some long started sewing. It took some exertion to get at it But I had started and feeling sure I could finish before Evening.
When glancing through the window, I saw two ladies coming along the street. Now in the City of Perry women don’t come along the street unless there is something doing. So I had to bring my mind back to the day of the week. When, Oh gracious, I thought it’s Relief S. Meeting.
Well, not I suppose it was a wicket thought but I know you will forgive me Sister when I tell you although I very seldom mention the matter to my near neighbors because I wouldn’t want to cause any envy you know. But oweing to having the Harness Shop we have when Bro Bate isn’t home there is no one to hand out the Straps, Buckles, shoes and many other things from the shop you know which of courses brings lots of men around there.
Now this Sewing was aprons for my self and I am never very tidy. I know you will pity me when you hear my thoughts were. Oh Bother, I can’t go to meeting this is the second time I have started those aprons. If I put it off today I won’t have another afternoon this week.
With that I set the machine running again. Sewed one seam and glanced up again, saw two more Ladies coming. Now something said, You can go as well as not. You have done without thoses aprons two weeks you can go one more day. But I answered I can’t and the way that old machine did go like it was mad. Missing stitches because the poor thing couldn’t keep up.
But there was no rest I hardly got one more seam run when up I jumped, stamped my feet much like some young girls will when ask to wash dishes when she was reading a novel.
There was no time now to get ready much running to the mirror to arrange my hair a little. I stopped in amazement and looked and thought well how old I am getting to be the short hours of sleep the worry over my family of six and other’s troubles to and to put the top on the angry frown on my face due to giving up those apron.
           My heart dropped like a lump of lead. And once more the thought What an ugly old woman I am and how soon my life will be gone. The excitement of getting ready in haste and the fast running of the machine made my legs a little shaky. And with the old thought to. I beginning to feel already very feeble so by the time I was on my way to meeting my thoughts were funning very fast (thoughts travel fast you know.) There were something like this, Good Gracious how I’ve wasted my life here we are humbuging along earning just enough to keep our family and now old age has come and we haven’t a penny saved up. What in the world will we do. Go to the poor house I guess.
You see, all ready I felt very feeble. My step seemed to slow though in reality I was walking brisk oweing to the worry of being late I suppose.
I noticed Sister Peters, oru President, coming along but she didn’t seem to notice me and I in turn imagined my eye sight getting very poor. All of a sudden, she glanced up with the exclamation of: Well is that you Sister Bate? I thought you was some young girl and have been wondering as I saw you walking along so briskly. What young girl could be coming to our meetings.
Well, my heart was down to the pit of my stomach, but jumped almost up to my mouth and my I felt as light as a feather.
Now you may laugh. But you can’t tell me not one of you girls (note the girls), (I don’t care if you have got 0 or 6 children) that you are not vain enough to feel proud to have any one mistake you for a young girl. Why it makes you feel like your sweet sixteen looking for your first beau. Well we had a lovely meeting and I went home singing and zany as all the rest of the evening. Was it any wonder ------ if my --------    ------- being red headed. Well it’s a glorious feeling girls. Come and try it.
What did Relief Society do for me?

No comments:

Post a Comment