Friday, May 20, 2011

Ann Bond



 Ann was born 11 July 1820 in Milton Lilbourne, Wiltshire, England which is two or three miles southeast of Burbage. She was christened there on 16 July 1820. Her mother, Maria Bond, is the only parent mentioned in the christening record. Years later, Ann stated for church records that her father was Richard Hoskins, but nothing is known of him. Three years after Ann's birth, Maria had a son, William Bond, also christened with no father mentioned.


When Ann was nine years old, her mother married John Hibberd in Milton Lilbourne and Ann and her brother became part of the Hibberd family at that time. Apparently, Ann did not take her stepfather's name. She was using the name of Ann Bond at her marriage in 1845 and also stated it as her maiden name on the birth certificate of her son.

Ann bore nine children, one dying in infancy. Her oldest son was born in Pewsey, but all others were born in Burbage where the family resided for over twenty years prior to immigrating to America. In addition to her own children, she raised a niece and was known to have cared for grandchildren from time to time. At age fifty-five, Ann made the trip to America with her three daughters. Her husband and two sons were waiting for them in Utah where Ann and Henry made their home for the remainder of their lives.

Ann died 29 November 1900, just two weeks before her husband. Their final resting place in the Millville Cemetery is marked by matching headstones nestled beneath two large shade trees, perhaps planted in their honor.


2 comments:

  1. Tamsyn, Thank you for this information on Ann Bond. I really appreciate learning more about her. Today I found your helpful info on 2 of my ancestors sites---this page about Ann Bond and also on George Laub's. I am a descendant of both of them. On my father's side I am a Spackman, descended through Henry, Elijah, John, and Clare. On my mother's side I am descended through George Laub, Carolyn, Mabel, and June. My name is Diana Hill and we have a lot in common!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How neat! This means you are blood related to my husband (Spackman) and me (Laub). I'm glad the site was helpful. I haven't done much with it for awhile.

      Delete