Friday, May 13, 2011

Are my husband and I related?

One of the first things I did after we were married (and a bit before, although I was afraid to look), was to see if my husband and I are related.  I was relieved to see that as far as I can tell, we are not.  Of course we are both descended from Noah, and our lines are bound to cross several times after that.  But I haven't found out where yet.

But as I have been digging through my husband's history, I have found a common relation.  Have a look at the pedigree of Ann Alger on this site:

http://www.johnpratt.com/gen/7/1.ped.html

John Alger is my husband's first cousin four times removed on his Hancock line.
Sarah Pulsipher is my great-great-great-great aunt on my Laub line.
(What does that make us?  Two people in love with a common relation.)

There is a comment on the marriage in one of the histories that I ran across, that I can't find now, about how the Pulsiphers and Hancocks were good friends in the early days of the church.  They rejoiced in the marriage of John Alger and Sarah Pulsipher because it linked their families together, "never to be separated again".

When I search the family histories, I have been mostly eager to find connections going back in time, but these early saints were thinking about their posterity.  It is amazing to me that none of our four parents are related, and yet, through my marriage, these early saints who knew each other so well become linked together.  Many of them, like the Hancocks and Pulsiphers, have been linked together for a long time, and yet, 164 years later, the link has grown even stronger through the eternal marriage of my husband and I.

Close friends may, in the future, become linked to you through the marriages of your children, grandchildren, or other descendants.

Every temple marriage and sealing creates and strengthens family dynasties.

The hearts of the fathers also turn to the children.

No comments:

Post a Comment